Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sentimental Sunday: Family Folk Art

  I spent last night finishing up a cross-stitch project. Yes, I'm a cross-stitcher. Self-taught, too, which can cause some unfortunate side-effects. I don't know how to sew, and you can only stick so many finished projects into frames. I'm going to start teaching myself to make pillows shortly :)
  But all this got me to thinking about the family "folk art" traditions that were handed down. In my family, they were somewhat few in number. One stands out. One line of my family made rugs. I've inherited a few, but honestly, I wish I knew how to make more. They're incredible art pieces. The last family member trained in the tradition passed away before I developed an interest. Just adding to the list of things I wish someone had made me learn. At least I can devote some energy to preserving what I have.
  What about about you? What "folk art" traditions did your family have? Have you tried to pass them on?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Bryna - like you I am a cross stitcher and I think it is quite easy to teach yourself. It is such a simple style of embroidery but so effective in the way colours are used in the designs. I soon ran out of people to send cards to, or wallspace for framed pictures. Fashions in cards changed and crossstitch did not have the same appeal in charity shops. I then turned to doing small card size projects which I pasted into a scrapbook, using coloured mounts to frame each one. After my mother died, I found she had kept all the cards I had made for her at birthdays, Christmas etd, so I have included them as well. It does make a lovely memento to look back on. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a cross-stitcher, too, although I don't do as much as I used to and I have many projects I need to finish. Several of my projects will be bequeathed to my granddaughter, as they are prize winning pieces; hopefully she will cherish them and pass them down to her children (if and when she has any). My mother taught me to sew when I was about 11 or 12; it was a skill she learned from her mother. My grandmother sewed many clothes for my older half-sisters. I have a skirt that she made for one; it is entirely hand-sewn, has a handworked buttonhole, and French seams. On one side of my family were several who worked as milliners but I have no samples of their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it's just not me! I'm so glad to see other families preserving fabric artifacts. They're great traditions and offer so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Bryna - to let you know that your posting proved a great blog prompt and I haqve written something on my stitching heritage at http://scotsue-familyhistoryfun.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/family-crafts-continued-talented-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete